Saturday, September 6, 2008

pros and cons

So - as much as we miss the whole homeschool thing, there have been a few upsides to the new arrangement. So in the interest of fair and honest reporting - I will lay out both sides of the story:

PRO: Both kids have met some really nice friends
CON: I don't know the friends names, because neither of them can seem to remember - maybe they are imaginary.

PRO: Punk is taking more responsibility for memorizing math facts, because he doesn't want to look like an idiot in front of the whole class.
CON: His conceptual math is actually really good. he was tested at a seventh grade level at the beginning of third grade. But now the only thing he is concerned with is SPEED.

PRO: I am really enjoying making Kooka's lunch every day. It used to be just another chore, but now it feels really good to do something nice for her when she is away. She is such a good eater and can't wait to find out what healthy surprises I made for her.
CON: Punk takes hot lunch - which has the daily option of a Smuckers Uncrustable if you don't like the main entree. I don't even WANT to know how many he has eaten.

PRO: Kooka is learning Spanish.
CON: So is the kid who spit in her hair - and we have not yet learned the word for "hyperactive looser with minimal social skills." We have mastered a fairly decent "STOP IT" and a nice two-handed-shove - which I think translates well in any language.

PRO: Kooka's teacher looks like a Disney Princess.
CON: We have spent nearly $300 to make sure Kooka can look like that too.

PRO:Punk is bringing home a new friend every day.
CON: I am having to feed those new friends every day.

PRO: It is nice to have a modicum of time to myself.
CON: Who am I kidding - I never have time to myself, I am just teaching somebody elses' kids now.

1 comment:

freund family blog said...

You are so funny. I knew very good material would come from this rich, adventure. I can't wait to read/hear more, friend!