Wednesday, November 28, 2007

go go go joseph


So - supposedly it is my very favorite musical of all time. But after last night, I would be willing to say it's more about Donny Osmond than even I would like to believe.

We saw the Chanhassen's version of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last night. Punk declared it "PERFECT", Kooka said it was the "best show ever!" , even Aaron said it was "pretty good." But then there is me.

The acting was decent, the choreography was hokey (not that anybody's dance skills were phenomenal to start with), the set was cheesey, the wigs were worse - and most importantly - there was no Donny Osmond.

I know I am picky I KNOW it. But even the adults did not match foot positions, Joseph's wig looked like a Barbie with a bad haircut, and Potiphar looked like he was about 17 (which I later learned was not too far off). Call me critical - but for god's sake - the stage is 6 times as big as the one I work on and they hardly used any of it. I expect a bit more than that for $70.

Having said that - it was not a bad show. It was OK. The bright spot was when one of Pharoah's wives came out to dance with Kooka during the finale. Kooka is a sucker for beautiful ladies that give her attention - and this chick had it all. . . barely dressed, ruby-red lipstick, a sparkly cobra crown and about 12 pounds of faux gold jewelry. Even Punk was a little impressed with Kooka's good fortune.

Afterward they met one of Joseph's brother's outside, and stopped for a picture. I hope my kids don't actually read this post - if they find out how hyper critical I am about this stuff, I may never see another puppet show again.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

he looks better than the creepy Mall Santa....

Anonymous said...

Believe me - this guy was much less creepy than the portly Elvis/Pharaoh who glued gems to his bare nipples and plucked them off. I couldn't even post that part.

j