Wednesday, April 9, 2008

the great state debate


So I made this bet with Punk. Two weeks for him to memorize the state capitols, then we would square off in a competition. If he beat me - I would take both he and Kooka to the DQ - no holds barred - whatever they wanted. If I won, they both had to clean my room spic and span. It was a pretty safe bet for me - I get ice cream or a clean room either way. Being a bit of a geography and history buff I knew I had the advantage, so I even told Punk that I would not study at all - just rely on Mrs. Kinneman's 7th grade social studies skills to back me up.

The showdown was today. Kooka was the host. She reached into a box, pulled out a puzzle piece and read the name of the state. Punk and I had to flip over a cup before we could answer the question. I knew I was in trouble when Punk nailed the first three before I even thought to flip my cup. But it got worse . . . ten states later and I was getting my butt kicked. Twenty states later and it was 15 to 5. When it was all said and done I got served - royaly: 25-17. Yes I know that only adds up to 42 - but there were three that neither of us could remember (Maryland, New Hampshire, and Missouri - like they are important anyway) and another 5 ties.

Punk gloated all day and loved telling the lady at DQ how it was that he was there in the middle of a school day ordering a LARGE butterscotch-marshmallow shake. I begged for a rematch, to which he responded, "As much as I enjoy kicking your butt, no thanks."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Enjoy celulite? WTF


acs

Melanie said...

I hate SPAM comments! Plus I've never enjoyed cellulite - what a crock!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations NOAH- You Rock- Love Grandma