Saturday, August 16, 2008

the luckiest girl

She was beautiful in her little turquoise dress. Her talent portion was spot on - and her interview was incredible . . . she did the best she can do . . . and she lost. So why is it that she is the luckiest girl?

Because when she hopped off stage, she had almost 20 people there, hugging her, hi-fiving her - and it gets even better.

Later that night, when she went to the older girls coronation, she got so many compliments on her singing (which by the way - was a thousand times better today than the practice video) - total strangers coming up to her, complimenting her, telling her how talented she is. And then there was this one princess - from Lakeville I think. She stopped Kooka after the show and said, "I have to tell you something - your singing was amazing - it was the best part of the show."

Kooka smiled with a dutiful "Thank you," which left the unspoken 'thanks but I still lost' hanging in the air.

And then this princess, kneels down and says, "You know - I'd rather be the most talented girl in the room, then be the one wearing the crown."

"Why?"

"Because at the end of the year - that other little girl is going to have to give that crown back."

Kooka thought about that all the way to the car. And by the time she sat down she was grinning ear to ear. "Mom, do you really think I was the best talent there?"

"Hands down Kooka - and not just because I am your mom. I do this for a job - you were the best one."

"Then I am glad," she said, "These flowers will get all withered up, and this paper program will probably get lost, and when the year is over you can't be the princess anymore . . . but I will never ever have to give up my talent, or my singing or my dancing. I will never have to give up being a good friend."

Thank you Princess Lakeville - wherever you are . . .you gave my little princess sweet dreams and renewed her confidence. You earned that goodwill ambassador crown tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on...Princess from Where-ever, Love Ya Kooka..awesome job GramS

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the heading shouldn't read:
"the luckiest girl", but instead,
"the most wonderful girl"!

~Treats

Myrna CG Mibus said...

Oh Jana - this makes me cry!
I wonder if there is a way to find the young woman who said that?