Thursday, November 27, 2008

thanksgiving

Today I spent Thanksgiving with total strangers: Allison, Laura, Martin, Ruth, Nique, Jack, Ben, and one girl that I just call the whiner.

For years I have wanted to spend this day feeding the homeless and today I had that chance. The kitchen was over 100 degrees, the gravy was hot, the boss was bossy, and the orders kept coming. It was the best Thanksgiving ever.

Even though I missed being with my family, I knew that Kooka was wearing her favorite Hanna Andersson dress, and new sparkly earrings. She was busy whipping cream and mixing gravy with her grandma. My children are so lucky. The little girls I saw today were wearing jackets that had been handed down three times too many. They said their prayers, and their father reminded them to put their napkins in their lap. The Vietnam vets sat at their own table, grateful for the hot food and the company.

I hope I get to do this every year.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

It sounds like an awesome experience!!