Friday, December 5, 2008

what a REAL report card looks like

Apparently I have been doing it wrong for the past four years. Punk and Kooka brought home their first publicly funded report cards today. There are no F's to speak of - then again there are no A's or B's either. There are a bunch of S's and D's and numbers and little comments, I am attempting to translate as I write.

What I do know is this: Both kids are doing above average in everything. Punk is great in reading, spelling and art. He is off-the-charts amazing in social studies - which was news to me. Oddly enough - even though his scores are fabulous - his effort grades are just a bit above average - which led Mr. D to write this in the comment section: Punk has made a great adjustment to school, but I still do not think we have seen his best work in all subjects.

I must have showed mild disappointment, because Punk asked me what the deal was. I had to explain, that I would rather have him working his skinny little behind off for a 2, than barely working at all for a 4. He countered with "But a 4 is as high as it goes . . . so, if I am barely doing anything and getting a 4, shouldn't they be giving me something DIFFERENT to do?"

Too bad there is not logic class in 4th grade.

Kooka's report card was positively glowing. "Kooka is doing a GREAT job in ALL areas of first grade!" "She is reading above year end level expectations already and participating in enrichment activities!" "Keep up the good work!" She is a wizard in both gym class, art and reading. She is in challenge math, and her Spanish is quite good as well. But the best part is that her work, study habits and effort were ALL above average grades - which makes me happiest of all.

Overall - I am pretty proud of both of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such smart, bright, beautiful kids...

~Treats

Naomi said...

You've done such a great job raising them!! You're amazing!! Congrats to both of them:)