Tuesday, December 30, 2008

how I survived

It is a wonder my brother and I survived past age 10.

This morning Punk asked me to teach him "more dangerous games that you and Uncle D used to play." So after a morning of brewing our own sodas (cinnamon twist and cherry vanilla swirl) I taught them Little Joey Carrot. If, like us, you have been cooped up for nearly a week, you really should get out a giant blanket and play.

Spread the blanket out on an open space on the floor. Take one person and roll them up diagonally like a burrito. Make sure they keep their hands down and legs straight - eventually the blanket will cover their feet and hands, making them pointy at both ends. You can use a few belts to secure the person inside the blanket if need be. Then sit back and enjoy.

Without using their hands, the person has to try to get up. They are bound, blindfolded, and trying to avoid sharp corners of coffee tables all at the same time. Add to this, the fact that the entire family is laughing hysterically at their predicament . . . the "carrot's" confusion, laughing spasms, and mild humilation, make for great family memories.

Trouble is, it's hard to stop at just one game. Punk has heard my list, and really wanted to follow up the fun with a rousing version of help I can't breathe. Kooka wanted to play Tom Sawyer, or help I'm falling.

Most of which are self explanitory.

I can't wait until the next family get-together when I can teach D's kids to play crash up derby. You play on real bikes, all crashes MUST be head on, and on the moment of impact you must sing out "crash up der-by" as loud as you can without falling off.

Considering everyone else in our family seemed to kick out prematurely, it begs the question . . . how are the two of us still alive? Without even taking in to account the fact that I often times walk barefoot in the snow, and D spends his days sticking his arms into giant, faulty electrical generators. I think we built up some kind of immunity from our dad, whose favorite game is allowing underage children to drive cars while pretending to supervise.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Didn't you ever play William Tell? (a.k.a. shoot the apple off my head with an arrow) Or was that just D? Hahahaha

* said...

That was just him . . . and the genius didn't even offer to be william tell, he offered to be the son

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just play, "Honey, if you love me won't you please, please smile"?

Anonymous said...

I'll just stick to Scrabble, thanks very much!

~Treats

Rapp family fun said...

Good humor!! I think my sister and I played that "help I can't breath" game a few times! I can say we made it out sane but we are still here!

* said...

Yeah Shanna, I also think I used to play some of those games with dance classes and call them "character building." You are all better people for it.