Sunday, January 4, 2009

why we are crying

It was the last day of 2008 when we lost someone we loved so very very much.

Our almost 15 year old, German Shepherd Riley, died in her sleep.

She was a therapy dog, the kind of dog who would never leave the yard - especially when the kids were playing in it. Baby Kooka stabbed her fingers in Riley's eyes on more than one occasion without so much as a wimper. She kept us safe, protected us, loved us, and it was her time to go . . . but that does not make this any easier.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. That just isn't fair. I think you've all had enough on your plate without this.

Hang in there...

xoxo,

Treats

Melanie said...

Sorry J.

Naomi said...

That's tough. Try to celebrate her wonderful life! I know that she couldn't have had a better family!
Love to you all,
Naomi

Rapp family fun said...

I'm sorry to hear about Riley. She was an amazing dog. Some dogs are just like a family member. Hope you guys are doing ok.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Riley. She was the best and will be missed by many.

The Mercurial Girl said...

I am so sorry, she was the best dog ever.

* said...

Thanks guys - it is really nice to hear from you - it reminds we of how many cool things we did with that dog. Like When James lost her - when Liberty said, "You know I think I like petting this dogs ears better than your new baby's head," - when Ritu used to babysit her - when I caught her with a cigarette in her mouth - when she scared the P!$$ out of a night jogger and I almost wet my pants laghing at him running away. Damn that was a good dog.