Friday, June 26, 2009

why i'm like this

My thing about Michael Jackson goes way back to 6th grade. It was an obsession. Not the glove-wearing, pepsi drinking kind of obsession - it was something less manic, but completely overwhelming.

When I saw him perform I didn't scream, didn't swoon - I studied. I mastered the moonwalk, broke down the isolations . . .he was the professor of pop, and I couldn't learn enough.

But it wasn't a terribly useful education . . .at least not on first glance.

It was not until I saw the video for Black or White that I knew. I didn't know what it was called, had no idea how to make it happen - but I knew - that is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

We were sitting in our college dorm, making predictions about what people where really going to grow up to be. We figured the math major was predisposed to give up academia and start a family. The chemist would have her own infomercial for something everyone needs . . .and then it got to me . . . the political science major.

"She's going to be a senator."
"No way."
"Why not - she's good at arguing her point."
"No way - she is going to teach people to dance - kids I think - and make up dances for videos and shows and stuff."

I am the only one they got right.

By the end of the year, that's exactly what I was doing.

And the only reason I even considered it as an option, is because I saw that video and realized that I did not have to be a master ballerina to create something inspiring.

Even Punk, who is pretty technically savvy is inspired by that video - the effects (almost 20 years old) are still pretty sweet.

But the choreography is still my favorite part . . .

BLACK OR WHITE

No comments: