Saturday, August 15, 2009

kooka's prize

We are not really sore loosers at our house - not really at all. And if the truth must be known, I am rather glad to be done with all of this "please judge my child worthy" business.

But today is a little difficult. It is hard to explain to a seven year-old why she didn't win, when random audience members came up to her afterward and said things like "What the hell happened?" One person even went so far as to say, "WTF? Give me a fricking break! She was hands down the best in all three categories!"

Two visiting princesses found her after the show to say, "You were amazing! I do not understand why you didn't win."

Makes it even tougher to swallow when their chaperone says, "Yeah - I remember you from last year - you got ripped off then too."

Nice.

None of that bothered me today - we weren't looking for a win. But, when the "lead" judge gave her a dirty look and elbowed the center judge as if to say "It's an act - she's really a little snot," it was about all I could handle. She accused Kooka of the same thing last year.


Hate to come right out and say this - but I have to.

Contrary to popular belief - some kids do actually have manners. Not that mine are perfect by any stretch, however, Kooka happens to be a good looking kid with near impeccable manners when she is in a public setting. She is talented - (she added the magic trick to her song - not me). She sits quietly, she doesn't fidgit, she looks you in the eye when you talk to her, she loves to be on her best behavior and be praised for it. She is a bit serious and likes to do things right - always. She doesn't make many mistakes because she is hard on herself - she likes perfection - it is who she is.

She is not a fake, or a fraud, or pretending to be something she is not. She is my daughter - my amazing beautiful daughter, who was not only poised and well-spoken today, but who - when it was all said and done - clapped for the winner with a smile on her face, and had the spirit to say this:

"Mom - if they don't want me like I am, then I am lucky to have not been chosen. I am happy being me."

There is no prize in the world better than hearing those words.

2 comments:

Treats said...

Kooka, I love you just the way you are...you are nearly perfect in my eyes (no one except The One is perfect anyway...so quit trying!). If they didn't pick you, I wouldn't want to be the kind of girl they were looking for. You will always be a princess in my eyes. I am so sorry if your feelings are hurt. Please don't try to ever be anyone but you.

xoxo

Melanie said...

Makes you happy and breaks your heart at the same time....