Monday, February 4, 2008

mean streak


Auntie M and Uncle Cares-a-lot recently revealed the gender of their unborn child.
I decided to share this information with Punk and Kooka - and did not get the reaction I expected.

I assumed Kooka would be disappointed - not so.

"Hey you guys Auntie M found out what her baby will be."
Punk says "What is it?"
"A boy."
Silence for a moment and then Kooka shouts, "YES!" points her finger right in Punk's face and says, "Ha!" There is a look of absolute gloating on her face - a look I have not seen before.

Even Punk looks surprised when he says, "What?"

She looks from me, to him, and back again. She literally rubs her hands together like an evil Disney Villain about to poison a princess. "Ha!" she says again, "I will still be the favorite!"

I laugh out loud. "Whose favorite?"

"EVERYONE'S! Auntie M will still think I am the best girl. Grandma, Grandpa, You , Daddy, all the Uncles and aunts will still love me best!" She takes another poke at Punk, "Ha! And guess what Punk? Everyone is gonna love that new, cute baby better than you."

For a moment, Punk is uncharacteristically silent. I can see the gears spinning - he's looking for a smart-alec remark, but nothing comes. Instead he just looks at me with raised eyebrows and a half smile that says - "Can that be true?"

I assure him it isn't, and we both look at Kooka who is leaned back in her seat, arms crossed, smiling at both of us - reveling in her victory. Who knew?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear God...just wait until she's a teenager!

Anonymous said...

Diabolical!

...and punk shouldn't worry, I think we can settle favorite grandson with a simple cage fight. And if Gray has even 1/10th of his mother's sassiness and his father's cat like quickness then punk better start his training NOW if he is going to make it interesting. I can't even imagine how bad those tiny little fists will hurt. Oh and have punk pick a weapon, pitchfork, board, or stabbing implement. It will be a June to remember!

~S

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....Sounds like she has that pegged....As for Punk....be prepared...that's all I can say.
~Auntie M

Anonymous said...

WOW - who would have thunk?!? :) I think that gloating may have been a little premature! Does she realize that the baby is gonna more attention than her even if it is a boy? Only because it's new of course.

Aunt H

Anonymous said...

Uncle- Cares- A-Lot,

Punk told me to tell you - that his weapon of choice will be his WITS - in which case he will dominate your baby. However - since he says he does not want to do battle with an unarmed opponent - he says his second choice . . . would be a chainsaw.

His words - not mine.