Wednesday, May 28, 2008

deja vu all over again

Am I in the ninth grade again? In the car today, I hear the DJ say, "Call now to win tickets to New Kids on the Block!"

So I am checking them out on youtube. After all this IS my lucky year - Osmonds touring, NKOTB reunion, Michael Buble' remaking BeeGees songs - it's like a genie granted me three wishes.

But . . .
and there is a BIG but . . .

I assumed they had grown UP. I truly believed that this would be a mellower New Kids, hipper, maybe some acoustic stuff. I did NOT expect to see 40 year old men, trying to recreate their moves from 1988. It is like watching a bad PTA talent show - five dads with bad knees and slightly out of tune voices trying to get down with their bad selves.

The music is the same - but much worse, and they are employing the same tricks we didn't fall for back then - putting the bad dancers in the back, giving "shouts out" to the audience when the notes get out of their range, only letting Jordan and Joey sing, making Donnie wear that god-forsaken baseball hat like he's still playing stickball on Mrs. O'Malley's front lawn. My LORD! If you think I am exaggerating - check it out for yourself.

And what is with the skanks dancing in the back? Like any of the 35 year old women STILL standing there in the rain with their "I 'heart' Joey" signs, want to be reminded of the fact that they are 20 years older, 30 pounds heavier, and don't stand a fighting chance of getting any play - not even from Danny. On the plus side the boys' speaking skills seemed to have improved dramatically. Money will do that I guess.

I am probably still gonna go. Don't ask me why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So they weren't "Hanging Tough"?

~Auntie M

Anonymous said...

that is called Nostalgia- the reason you are going- Grandma S

Anonymous said...

I actually saw them perform live on the Today show...it was so bad I was embarrassed for them and turned the channel.

~Treats

Anonymous said...

I always kind of had a crush on Danny- because he was the only one I thought I'd have a chance with! But, kudos to the chick who dug out her neon pink and green NKTOB baseball cap. Rock On!

-French Fry Stealer

* said...

I totally noticed the chick with the pink and green painters hat - and the lady with giant "Hangin' Tough" button. You better not wear yours when we go - but it's ok if you wear your banana clip and your overalls with the one strap undone.

Jamie Willow said...

well that was horrible. but I'd totally see them too :-)~

I still turn up "please don't go girl" on my ipod every once in a while...

no more NKOTB confessions for me today...