Friday, May 9, 2008

perfect day


That's what they said it was - a perfect day. And I have to agree. When you are 5 and 8 - the best way to study science is to be outside. The best reading lessons are at Barnes and Noble with an iced mocha in one hand, and the whole marine biology section at your disposal. Best economics lesson is figuring out that if you spend two quarters on a souvenir squished penny - then you will not have enough left for goat food at the zoo.

And that is pretty much how it went. Everybody slept in, we had lunch on the road and got to the zoo at 12:30. Punk was dying to see the meerkats, and both kids decided we needed to be on the outdoor trail since the weather was so beautiful.

I hate the outside trail.
Really - I do.

There are geese and deer and other animals that nobody in their right mind goes to the ZOO to see. There is a tiger den - but there is always a sign up that says "because of the construction nearby, the tigers are scared, and may be hiding in their cave - we hope you understand." I don't understand. Even Kooka didn't get it. "Ummm, Mom," she says, "Don't they know they are like the fiercest land animal in the world?" Apparently not - and for that matter, god only knows if there even are any tigers in that brand new multi-million dollar den. We've never seen them. Then again maybe they are scared of the six thousand field trip kids that are stealing money from the donation funnels, shaking the fences and shoving my five year old out of the way so they can get a closer look. Even I am afraid of them.

Did I mention I HATE the outdoor trail?

But - as usual - when it comes to matters like this . . . Punk was right. Animals flock to this child in a rather surreal fashion. Honest to god - as soon as Punk approaches the farm gate, this goat pops up to pose with him. Lots of kids are hanging by that goat . . . none of them get this treatment.

Then - there is a chipmunk, and goose - that walk right up to us and perch in our path like we are characters in a Disney film. A whole family of geese - both parents and six goslings come within arms reach and stop to preen in front of him - while father goose hisses at everybody else on the path.

But the highlight was the turtle.

On the way back from the farm we spot this red eared slider - just hanging out in the bushes. Punk has ALWAYS wanted a turtle and asks if he can pick it up. Fine by me - if he can catch it. The sucker is speedy - and his claws are sharp. But he nabs t from behind and the little turtle is content as can be with the reptile whisperer. It isn't until Kooka and I reach out to touch it, that the thing opens it's mouth like it's gonna rip our fingers off.



I like to think I am pretty good with animals - I know I am. But this kid could load the ark without a scratch - it is unreal.

After the zoo we head to the bookstore where he studies cryptozoology stuff. Kooka and I read Fancy Nancy books and sip icy mochas.

After that it is off to try on a dress for her pageant this summer, and then dinner at Raising Canes. We get home at 8:00 read stories, give kisses, and put everybody to bed with a new book.

And a day does not get much more perfect than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty darn perfect to me!
I'm glad you had such a nice day.

~Treats

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I love the zoo, but no one ever wants to go with me. If you guys are ever looking for someone to go with you...

Schroeder