Tuesday, August 14, 2007

mirror mirror on the wall

. . .who's the fairest of them all? Obviously it's not me. This is what happened when I tucked Punk into bed tonight:

PUNK: Animals mean so much to me - they are just so cute - it's not like a human. I mean when a toad looks at you, it's just cuter than anything.
ME: Anything?!
PUNK: Yes.
ME: So you're saying that a toad is cuter than a human?
PUNK: Oh yes!
ME: All humans?
PUNK: (catching on) We'll you're beautiful, but I wouldn't exactly call you cute.
ME: What do you mean? What WOULD you call cute?
PUNK: A toad!
ME: Wait a minute . . . . did you just say that I am not as cute as a toad?
PUNK: Yes, I guess I did. But when they look at you with those big, glittery eyes . . . .


. . . . . and warty brown skin, and sticky, nasty toes - aaah they're so dreamy.
And that is where my 8 year-old finds beauty - in the face of a toad. Which for now is fine by me, but let's hope his tastes change a bit - or my grandchildren will be hideous.

Then again, if he's always this smooth with the ladies, I'll never have grandchildren anyway.

No comments: