Thursday, January 17, 2008

history


I have a MINOR in the subject . . my kids seem to love it . . . never want to be done. Then why in the world can we not seem to get a single thing RIGHT?

Today we start on the American Revolution. But first we have to review, so we go back to the Pilgrims, trying to remember why we are here in the first place . . . PIL-GRIMS folks - preschool stuff.

This is how it goes, "OK guys, now remember the Pilgrims? Who were they?"

Punk, "Oh - their clothes were so ugly."
Kooka, "I know."
Me, "Who WERE they?"
Punk, "Well they had those stupid hats, and the girls had napkins on their heads.I'm gonna draw a Pilgrim right now."
Kooka, "Me too! Pilgrims is a funny word - Pilgrims, Pilgrims, Pilgrims."
Me, "Stop - we're not even talking about Pilgrims today, we are talking about the Revolutionary War."
Kooka, "Then why did you ask about Pilgrims?"
Me, "Because I'm trying to get to the part about the war."
Punk, "Then get to it already."
Me, "But the Pilgrims - who WERE they?"
Punk, "I think they were friends with Columbus. He probably went back and told them about all the cool stuff here, so they moved."
Kooka, "OH! OH! I know - the Pilgrims came on that boat, 'The Mayflower'."
Me, "YES! YES they did! WHY did they come over here on the Mayflower?"
Kooka, "Well I assume it's because they didn't want to be late for Thanksgiving dinner."


I have no right to be educating these children myself - no right whatsoever.

No comments: