Tuesday, June 3, 2008

field of study



Call me crazy - but part of what we do as homeschoolers - is let our kids choose their own course of study. Back in the day, when I first had this crazy thought, I assumed that any child of mine would want to devote his time to penning their first historical novel, composing a sonata on one of the four instruments she is proficient with, or really delving into Latin, as to better understand all of the medical terms in the college level anatomy book laying on his nightstand.

I was mistaken.

Granted - they have picked some amazing stuff to study: paleontology, the effect of pollution on plants, robotics, theater, Spanish - but this year, I felt slightly nauseated when Kooka told me she wanted to study . . . of ALL things. . . .cooking.

On top of it - Punk did not choose to continue with his science/biology fetish . . . instead he chose . . . you can probably guess . . . cartoons.

So here I am, theater-dance-writer girl with one kid who wants to watch cartoon network for his assignment and a Martha Stewart wannabee. Doesn't take a genius to see - that this won't go well.

Miraculously - I was wrong.



Despite the fact that all I am qualified to teach is which button to push to heat your hot pocket, and to count to 5 before you pull the pop tart out of the toaster . . . the kid did manage to learn something. Today she made this cherry cheesecake. She knew which measuring utensils to use - read the instructions - poured the milk, found the mixer (even I didn't know where it was), put the beaters in, timed everything herself. . . wow. It must be that chef's hat she insists on wearing.

As for Punk - he actually learned something too. He studied Jim Henson, started writing his own screenplay and figured out how he and Kooka could make these sock puppets. (Thankfully it's sandal season - we'll be running out of socks soon.)


Maybe this homeschooling thing works. Maybe not - maybe this plan is going to backfire on me and they will both be living in my basement for the rest of their lives. Oh well - at least I will be entertained and well-fed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mean the silly chef's hat that Grandma gave her? And what is really wrong with learning an enjoyable art like cooking that actually provides one of the major needs to the human body!!! You go girl..You just might be a Schom6urg Foodie! There are lots of them around.

Anonymous said...

If you can follow directions, you can cook/bake anything! Awesome looking cheesecake, Kooka.

Punk, I love the puppets. If you run out of socks, just sneak socks from your mom and Dad's drawers. It's all for the sake of art, right?

~Treats