Monday, March 1, 2010

the great american road trip 2.0 - day 3



It's usually quite late by the time I get a chance to post here, but I'll do my best to keep you all up to speed. (forgive my absolutely disgusting photos - my uploader cord is broken, so all I can offer is cell phone pics - I'll fix them when we get home).

The day started out on a somber note. For all the times I have been to DC, I'd never really had a chance to explore Ford's Theater - so that was our first stop for the day. We saw the pistol that ended Lincoln's life, and we all marveled at the fact that just one steel pebble could inflict so much damage. As we made our way up to the balcony, both Punk and I were a little creeped out by the purposeful, audible ticking of a clock, counting President Lincoln's final moments. We peered into the president's booth and imagined what it must have been like to be in the theater that night (a little tough to do, as the theater crew was busy putting the finishing touches on the set for "Little Shop of Horrors" - but thankfully we have good imaginations).

I was pleasantly surprised by both kid's history knowledge. Rico looked over the balcony where John Wilkes Booth jumped, and said, "Whoa - that's a long way down - surprised the guy didn't break a leg." At which point both kids turned to him in unison and said, "He DID!" Then again - they always seem to have a better memory for disastrous events.


We then walked across the street to the Petersen House - where the President lay for nine hours before he finally died from his injuries. It was sad, and eerie - and although I'm glad I went, I have no desire to go back soon. Kooka seemed to get the same vibe, and followed me out very quietly. Punk on the other hand, was more disturbed walking back down the steps from the theater balcony. He kept saying, "It's just not fair - it's the one thing he never did in here. He walked up the steps, and he never got to walk back down."

After our sobering morning - we decided to chase some adventure at the National Spy Museum. Kooka was in HEAVEN. She has been talking about becoming a spy for the better part of two years - and this was a chance for the girl to test her skills. Both she and Punk had a great time memorizing their back story, uncloaking disguised spies, tunneling under the Berlin Wall, sinking enemy submarines, and crawling through the air ducts to spy on visitors. Thankfully, I didn't notice the "absolutely NO photos or videocameras allowed" until we were leaving. I have tons of pictures - and will post them when I get back.

A quick stop at the Navy memorial, and lunch at Manhattan Deli, and then it was off to the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. It was a quick stop, and we all agreed that the contemporary exhibit in the Lincoln hallway was the best. It was there that we saw the US neon exhibit, which we all agreed was the coolest thing there.


At 4 pm there was a short detour back to the hotel - a nap for me, and a short swim for the kids and Rico. Then we were off to Virginia for a dinner date with Rick's good friends. We met at an adorable riverside cafe. (It was also haunted - which always helps when you are taking a 10 year old boy on a dinner date). Rick's friends were so sweet, and as both kids were thrilled to discover, not at all shy about mocking Rick at the dinner table.

Now it's late, and I am appalled at my writing - I usually put more time into this - but baby Yoda has me wiped out . . . . hopefully it's enough for you guys to keep up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! The spy museum sounds like a fabulous place! Thanks so much for sharing!!
~Naomi

Treats said...

Thanks for taking the time and energy to write last night! No worries about the writing or photos. Loved it all. I loved the Ford Theater and the house across the street. We stayed there for about 2 hours longer than we planned. The thing about a place like this is that it puts the history into a reality that you will never forget.

Kooka...being a spy can be so dangerous. Could you do this as a hobby when you grow up and find something safer to do for a real job?!?

Have fun today. Thanks again for taking the time to share your journey with me. It makes me feel like I'm there too!

Lots of snow melted here yesterday!

Queen Slug said...

Sounds like an awesome time! I can't wait to see the pics from the spy museum.

Juliette/Paul said...

You're pregnant!! How far along?