Wednesday, March 3, 2010

the great american road trip 2.0 - video

If this trip has accomplished nothing else, it has given me insight to how fundamentally different both of my children are.

One of them said this: "No - that is not Neil Armstrong's space suit. I would recognize it if I saw it." This is the same child who asked for a turn to work the cotton gin, and then took home raw cotton to practice cleaning it by hand. This one examined the blood splatters on Abraham Lincoln's pillow, and glared at the statue of John Wilkes Booth, as if giving him dirty looks would somehow help avenge the good guys. The same child, who when asked what they thought of the Vietnam Wall, said very quietly, "Do we have to talk about it? It makes me sad."

The other child, works something like this: "Hey, that is Amelia Erhart's plane!" (How do you know?) "Because I recognize it from Night at the Museum." The same child memorized the entire preamble to the constitution in under 10 minutes, and then said, "It's easy - just like memorizing lines." This is the child who could not even bear to look at the Vietnam Wall, let alone Lincoln's pillow. To this child - ignorance is bliss - truly.


I'll leave you to figure out who is who, but the videos below should give you a clue.



1 comment:

Treats said...

Punk, I would have wet myself for sure.

Love the glasses. I haven't seen them. Seeing you guys on video kind of makes me sad because life is so busy for me to try to keep up on that I haven't seen you in so long. Can we please make a date when you come home? I miss you guys.

I'm glad you're having fun. Tell your mom that we want a picture of her and Rico somewhere on this blog before you return!

Have a great day today, okay?