Wednesday, March 31, 2010

stop theif


We need a bit of advice here.

The entire family is 99.9% certain that one of the kid's friends is a budding kleptomaniac. On top of attempting to entice one of our own children to go "steal some candy from the basement," we found a few things missing when this particular child went home.

These are not big things, or expensive things - just things that we know somebody had to have taken.

For example - two of the knobs on our kitchen drawers have been unscrewed and are nowhere to be found. Bearing in mind that even a 6.0 earthquake would not have simultaneously unscrewed two knobs on adjacent drawers - these things are on pretty tight, they HAD to be unscrewed by somebody. And even if we DID accept the earthquake theory, the knobs would still be laying on the floor - right?

And then there is the little matter of a cutting blade - not a big deal, just a tough to replace part of a paper cutter. We all know it was there when the kid got here (I used it), and it was not there when the kid left.

Our child has since said, "I don't really want that kid over any more," - a request with which I am more than happy to comply.

But the question remains . . . how do we handle the situation? Obviously we can buy more knobs - that isn't the issue. The issue, is that when Rico agreed to call the child and nonchalantly ask if they had seen any loose knobs, this child, without missing a beat instantly replied "No, no, no, I didn't take anything."

Not "what knobs?" or "I don't remember seeing anything like that" or "that's weird" . . . . just, "I didn't steal anything."

Soooo . . . we could use some advice. Feel free to comment here, or just leave your opinion on the poll in the upper right.

(Oh - and in case we are keeping track, which a grudge holding mother would never do . . but just in case the rest of you are - this child happens to come from the same school where the principal insisted there are no "bad kids - no bullies, no thieves" - Just troublemakers like Punk - grrrrrrrr)

3 comments:

Lady Bright said...

I said let it go, I'd want to call the parents, but I would put money that they will think you are horrible for accusing their child (who would never do that) of stealing. If I caught the child in the act I would call because I would be coming at it from a more solid angle. There is a good chance these parents will have the attitude of how do you know Punk didn't do it?

Rapp family fun said...

AS a mother I would want to know what my kid was doing. It kinda sucks but I say you should call the parent's on it. it's a hard spot because I'm sure the parent's will be like No not my kid, but when they find extra knobs under his pillow then they will be aware of what's going on.Yuck... good luck with this one!

Jamie Willow said...

well...my neighbor kid is a sticky fingered little guy and I just tell him to go home and get what he took. I don't ask him if he took it. lol. and usually he'll go get it then.
now that I know he's a sticky finger kid I also tell him when he comes near my house that I know he likes to take things and don't do it cause I'll just make him return it. He's like 6 yrs old though.

"but I want it!" yeah kid but it's not yours so go get it and bring it back.

this is our conversation at times.

you didn't list it as an option but you could just talk to the kid yourself. IF you let him visit again, just say something like "make sure you don't take anything with out asking first." and leave it at that.

if you have a relationship with the parents then I'd also talk to them about it. Especially since he's taking strange things...lol...