Saturday, September 15, 2007

the foreign language requirement

I barely passed Norwegian in college, and only took it because I had to. I took one year of German from a genuine Nazi, and bailed on Russian class when the professor kept laughing at me. I did teach myself to say hello in ten different languages, but don't speak any of them fluently.

So how is it, that I find myself teaching four different languages to my children? Kooka is obsessed with Spanish - thankfully I am most adept at this one (which isn't saying much). Punk's favorite is sign language (another stong suit for me). But now Kooka also wants to learn French - and Punk needs to learn German (or at least fake it).

Their upcoming play requires all of the boys to sing in German, and the girls to sing in French - very speedy French. I hope the boys sing about the telephone ringing, and having blue eyes - because that's all I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey..maybe they'll sing about saying hello, or here's a phrase my boyfriend loves to impress me with "Je suis une petite fille" - I am a little girl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wait - is that the ONLY phrase he knows? Why does he know how to say that in the first place - hmmmmmm.
Kooka does remember the Oui oui part. She says "wee wee is easy to remember."
j

ps - that was my own comment that I accidentally deleted.