Monday, September 24, 2007

woodblock printing



Today we studied the Chinese - and how they "invented" printing. We're pretty sure lots of people in lots of countries figured this out - mainly by accident - but the books say it all went down in China, so we stuck to the story. We got a carving set, brayer and ink from the Art Store (we love that place), and got to work. Of course Punk chose to carve an animal. Kooka decided to create a wild design. Both tiles - and the prints turned out pretty well, which surprised their Art Major father.

"Wow! I actually expected them to be kind of hideous," he admited.

I asked him why and he blurted something about "kids that age reversing a drawing in their head." I'm not sure I buy it. I wonder what else he is expecting besides "hideous" history projects. He better not act this surprised when Punk graduates from college or Kooka gets her MD.

No comments: