Tuesday, October 2, 2007

how it's done

I'm still trying to figure it out. I was talking to one of my homeschooling friends today. We both work part-time in addition to the full time job of teaching. It was 8:00 at night, and she still hadn't done math with her kid. I have days like that all of the time. I'm curious to see what everybody else does with their days. Ours usually go like this:

8:00 Wake-up. Wake kids up. Get everybody dressed and chores done.
8:45 Breakfast
9:15 Circle time - calendar time, counting to 100, pledge, music, Spanish
10:00 Math - Singapore. Set up Punk, work manipulatives with Kooka, then trade off
10:30 History (or Science or Geography) Read & do a project together
11:45 Recess/make lunch
12:30 Reading. Punk reads quietly on the couch. Kooka and I snuggle in my bed. She reads to me, then we all read stories together
1:15 Language/Writing - Punk works on Spelling and his Journal. Kooka works on writing sentences and phonics stuff. Both kids get a turn on the computer.
2:00 Gym - it's always something - dance, swimming, baseball
2:30 Homework/project time - whatever didn't get finished or is due on Friday has to be worked on now, because after this is . . .
3:00 Free time - and they better enjoy it because . . .
3:45 Leave the house - dance, choir, play practice, scouts - everyday it's something - and usually both kids are sporting backpacks because . . .
4:00-8:00 Mom is at work. Both kids hang out until Dad comes to get them, or until they are done with practice.
8:30-9:30 baths, bedtime snacks, brush teeth, bedtime stories
9:30-11:00 Mom works on choreography & work type stuff. Punk reads in bed
11:00-12:30 Mom gets stuff ready for school the next day - projects, special worksheets, posting assignments on the board. (This is why I'm always on the computer until 2 am).
12:30 - 1:30 Mom turns out Punk's light, checks on Kooka and hops into bed, where I read until I fall asleep. Then I get up and away we go again.

I really don't get how people do this for years and years and years. Does it get easier - or is it always like this?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Not that I don't do a lot in a day, but reading your "schedule" made me tiiiiired!