Sunday, July 22, 2007

chicken pox

Punk and Kooka both got the chicken pox. They both were vaccinated, and they still got it. Kooka first - then the Punk. Kooka had about 30 chicken pox, and we took Punk in for a booster as soon as we found out. And as worried as he was about that shot, I would do it all over again - even he admits he would do it all over again.

He got 3. Three chicken pox. Neither kid had much of a fever, or was very uncomfortable. Punk went to bed early one night (9:30 is early for him) and Kooka took a nap one day. Other than that - nothing.

When I had chicken pox I was out of comission for two weeks. My family dumped me at Grandma's and took off on summer vacation without me. I still have scars on the inside of my elbow - it was bad. But even with 30, Kooka just looked like she'd spent a few days at mosquito lake - you couldn't even tell she had them.

Then again, I'm sure I'll get e-mails reminding me of how my grandchildren will be born with 6 heads, unable to do cartwheels or be held back two grades just because we had a chicken pox shot . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas....no grief about immunizing your kids from me. My kids are fully immunized and so far have no problems. As long as the immunizations are without preservatives, I think they are a good idea. I'm glad the kids didn't get them too badly.