Friday, July 6, 2007

gaping gaps in the curriculum

We study history - a lot, it's actually one of Punk's favorite subjects. And Kooka's pretty good for a pre-schooler. The trouble is that we study chronologically. We started with dinosaurs and are at medieval England right now. So, although we've touched on the basics of American history, we haven't gone in depth too much - which became painfully obvious this morning.

We were discussing the fourth of July, and I asked Kooka if she remembered why we celebtated the fourth of July. She said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I get it." I asked her to explain it, and this is what she said:

"We celebrate it because that's like when the President goes on vacation or something, and so there's nobody here in America to BOSS us around, and so we let off fireworks and stay up late and eat cake, because there is nobody here to tell us no."

"What?!"

"That's why we can make so much noise - because he's not here to tell us to go to bed and stuff."

We obviously have to hit the books a little harder - let the homeschooling smack talk begin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Kooka and my political views are in sync with each other. Personally, I'm re-writing my history surrounding the 4th of July. Way to go, kooka! You're smarter than all of us adults.